Monday, July 27, 2009

News of All Types

Firstly, I would like to share some sad news. Torgbe Kotoko, one of Nyive's chiefs has just past away this week. He's been sick for a very long time. Not totally unexpected, it still took everyone as a surprise. No one really expected him to go so soon. I guess he's been a part of the community a very long time. He's very well loved and the entire village is upset by their loss. I think people are also upset he isn't around to see the library now that its finally finishing up.

The inauguration of the library is still on Wednesday and we've confirmed the attendance of lots of dignitaries and the whole community. This means that we've spent the last few days, and probably all night tonight binding, cataloguing, stamping and shelving books. Its the Jean-Leon Allie Library all over again...ecept now I'm teaching everyone what to do. I keep asking myself "What would Desneiges do?"

For those of you who have been paying attention, you may ask about that missing day. The one where we're pulling a late nighter tonight instead of cataloguing tomorrow.That's because tomorrow, Tuesday, we're not allowed to work. At least I'm not. Tuesday I will be confined to the house. This is due to some really cool news which I've neglected to share up until now and some complications following it (one of the reasons I haven't mentioned it yet).

The piece of really cool news, the chiefs want/started planning to enstool me as a Queen Mother (Female Chief) partially for the work I've done and partially for the work they want me to continue in the future. They have lots of different chiefs for lots of different purposes, mine has to do with helping in the development of the community and being an elder for the youth (in Nyive, I think "youth" is anyone under 50). They tell me its because I'm interested and value their arts, crafts and industries. This paragraph really isn't doing justice to anything that's been happening the last few weeks. The complication I mentioned is that since Torgbe Kotoko died, there is a kink in everyone's plans for me. Its traditional not to enstool any chiefs between the time someone dies and they are buried. In Ghana, this is at least a month, especially for a chief. Funerals here are very costly and involve a big party with a lot of planning. We're very sad that we're going to miss it. This also means that they can't really enstool me.

Enstooling usually has two parts: an indoor part that is sort of private I guess and an outdoor part where they present someone to the community. Babies are also outdoored a few days after they are born for the same reasons. To have a big party would be disrespectful to Torgbe Kotoko since everyone is supposed to be in mourning but the chiefs are determined to do something. So what will happen is that there will be the indooring and then they want me to come back and have the outdooring in about a year. The indooring will involve some rituals done around 6 am and then they lock me in the house the whole day. Then they will come get me the next day (Wednesday) and will spend the day sort of treating me like a chief so everyone will know without it being announced. The special treatment is just in time for a big pubic occasion that has nothing to do with enstooling so it seems to work out perfectly for everyone. Pretty cool, eh? I'm really honoured because its really putting forward that they want me to stay a part of the community and involved in the affairs here.

Since I'm catching a cold, I think staying indoors all day (and SLEEPING) sounds like a fantastic idea. Conor and I were up at 5 am this morning singing "I just want to be a sheep"...I'm goofy when I'm sick.

Anyhow, its gonna be a big couple of days.

Ciao for now,
-The Jessicat

No comments:

Post a Comment